Friday 17 January 2014

Bollywood, Curry & Textile Workers

I have to admit, when someone mentions India, I can’t help but think of Bollywood, curry and textile workers. Admittedly, I get the feeling that the curry stereotype may be cemented rather than dispelled during the two and a bit weeks we’re out there for, but I’m hoping that my currently misguided and clouded expectations will be blown away. I mean, who doesn’t like a surprise?

So, my thoughts and feelings so far, in a semi-chronological order.... ‘Wow! You mean, I’m actually going?!’ That was pretty much my first reaction when Soph phoned to tell me I’d been accepted. Then, of course, came ‘Oooh I wonder  who else is going.’ Then a bit of ‘Umm, what will it really involve?’ Ok, don’t get me wrong, I’d done my research (by asking people who’d been before), but I’m not convinced I’ll be entirely sure until I’ve actually been there, done it, and got the t-shirt (which are apparently very cheap out there, so it’s all good).

Seriously though, I am so thrilled to be able to be a part of this trip. I know there are a number of people my age who do this kind of thing, often in a secular context and with the aim of ‘broadening their horizons’ and, dare I say it, having a little something extra for job and uni applications. I think this is part of what makes ChristChurch missions different. I don’t want this trip to be about me and what I can get out of it, but instead what we, as a team, can give to BLC and the wonderful people there. And not because of how great we are, but because of how great God is.

I reckon there are going to be a fair few challenges, not least the heat, food and culture, as well as, umm, the lack of phones and iPods. I think, as bad as it may be, that that will be a big challenge for me, but at the same time, I think I’ll realise that in actual fact, I don’t need all these things that I have become so reliant on. There is something so much bigger and more important, and that thing is God. I hope that I will get to know Him better.

The biggest excitement for me lies in getting to know the children who Martin and Beena take care of out there. My family and I spent a bit of time in Burma a couple of years ago, and something I remember vividly from that trip is going once a week to a centre for children with various disabilities, especially those caused by leprosy and polio. Although we spoke next to no Burmese, I was amazed at how much a smile can communicate. Joining in their games or school work, we got to know them and their unique personalities pretty quickly. I am so excited to have another opportunity like that, and to be able to share in God’s love in a totally different way.

Another thing I am really looking forward to is getting closer as a team. I think we are going to get pretty good at supporting each other over the course of mission and that we’ll learn more about each other’s strengths and weaknesses. I hope that we can be a team who really encourage each other and help each other to develop into the people that God has designed us to be – not just during mission, but in the months leading up to it, and continuing forward after it.

Currently my biggest worry is fundraising - I had planned to do a Krispy Kreme sale at school, but I found out a few days ago that individual events aren’t allowed, which kind of threw a spanner in the works. My wonderful Mum has had a really good idea though – there’s a weekly car boot sale that I’m going to take a bunch of stuff to one weekend (or probably more than one weekend, depending on how lucrative it is). I’m also going to start teaching someone piano, and I’m looking for any babysitting opportunities going. I know that God’s got it in hand and that something will work. I’ll just keep persevering.


So, all in all, a bit of a standing-at-the-edge-of-a-cliff feeling. Very, very exciting, a little bit scary and a lot of unknowns. But completely exhilarating at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment