Friday 17 January 2014

Needles, Foreign Food and other Phobias


For many years I have looked up to those who have gone on summer missions with Christchurch Woking to either India or Kenya however it was not till recently that I seriously considered going on mission myself. Two years ago I felt that I wasn’t prepared to go to India as I didn’t feel mature enough but as soon as I heard there was going to be a summer mission in 2014 I knew that I wanted to go. Many of the things which I associate with mission scare me yet I still feel that I have a calling from God to go and help the less privileged in India. 
Coming from South Africa, a country with such polar extremes when it comes to wealth and standard of living, I have always been aware of the suffering there is around the world. This is why I feel that it is necessary for me to go to India on mission so that I can help people first hand and not just by giving money so others can do the work for me.
Frankly there are many aspects of the mission that scare me; first and foremost there is the injection issue. I have a phobia of needles. Because of this I have, in the last few years, avoided more than 15 stitches by on a number of occasions just bandaging up a gash in the side of my leg and hoping for the best. Some may say that that is a stupid thing to do but I would honestly rather risk catching many diseases in India than get the injections for them and be safe unfortunately I will not be allowed to go on the mission unless I get my injections… Secondly there is the food issue… Although I have no problem with Indian food itself I have possible one of the worst track records possible food wise (I have in the past even given myself food poisoning by eating partly cooked bacon).  Also I have heard the horror stories of people becoming very ill due to the foreign cuisine (normally because of the rice). These are hurdles that I will have to overcome either before the mission or during it however I know that God’s strength will help me through the roughest of times.

When I was on team at Soul Survivor last summer I was able to serve others, I felt a calling from god to find joy in even the most menial of tasks I found this a very rewarding experience as it helped me to form stronger relationships with those who were around me and also with the rest of the youth. I look forward to further re-enforcing my relationships with those who will be going to India as part of the Christchurch team. I am also looking forward to helping the children who are at the orphanage because I love to make a difference to the loves of others, I feel going on mission this summer will be eye opening and it will benefit me spiritually. I am very much looking forward to the adventure, India here I come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment